While providing an adequate layer of protection to your website may turn out to be costly, not every protection on the internet costs money.
A lot of people struggle with finding a free yet reliable SSL certificate provider for their website. So, here is a list of the top free SSL certificate providers.
The entities concerned with the exploitation of the data transmitted by your website have evolved with the evolution of the internet. They’re looking for a gap between the web browser and the server to steal important pieces of information from your website. However, this is where the importance of the SSL certificate comes in!
Secure Sockets Layers (SSL) is a security protocol that helps in securing your visitor’s private information such as credit card details and passwords.
Although web hosts provide access to SSL certificates along with their paid plans, there are some providers that offer free SSL certificates either for a trial period or for a lifetime (subject to renewals).
We have compiled a list of best free SSL certificate providers to secure your WordPress site (11 free SSL providers and 4 web hosts) that can provide you with a platform to get familiar with the free certificate before upgrading to the premium.
Let’s start digging!
SSL For Free
SSL For Free is a non-profit certificate authority that has catered to the needs of more than 3 million websites.
- ACME servers generate free certificates through domain validation.
- 99.9 percent of internet browsers trust the SSL certificate.
- It generates private keys that are never transmitted and deleted after the certificate has been issued.
- The certificate allows you to add multiple-domains or sub-domains.
- The certificate is free even for commercial usage.
- The SSL certificate provider doesn’t provide technical support.
Let’s Encrypt is a well-known certificate authority that has been working on a non-profit basis to provide free SSL certificates.
- It uses ACME servers to test the control over the domain.
- It employs next-generation 2048-bit technology in its certificate.
- It provides as much security as a premium SSL certificate would have.
- The process will install the certificate in no time with the help of ACME servers.
- For any issue or challenge, you can access community forums.
- The provider doesn’t provide any warranty or additional security with the certificate.
A lifetime free SSL certificate that is to be renewed every 90 days, ZeroSSL is known for its speed and reliability.
- It provides a quick validation process using one-step email verification.
- It provides Wildcard certificates and SSL monitoring.
- It supports more than one domain.
- With the help of ACME integrations, the renewal process has been made simpler.
- It doesn’t provide any technical support.
Just like Comodo, GoGetSSL offers a 90-days free SSL certificate that is compatible with all the majority web browsers.
- It provides a 30-days money-back guarantee.
- It works for 99.6% of browsers such as Opera, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- It provides an additional incentive for a premium reseller program to sell their cheap certificates.
- The domain validation takes as little as 5 minutes.
- 100% price match guarantee for premium packages.
- The domain validation without any paperwork costs additional $5.39
GeoTrust offers 30 days of free SSL certificate experience that works on leading web browsers and mobile browsers by fully protecting your website.
- The domain validation is done through an automatic process.
- The certificate is capable of hosting 99% of the browsers.
- Secures your site with 256-bit encryption.
- The certificate issuance is pretty fast.
- You don’t require extensive knowledge to install the certificate.
- The plans after the free trial are a bit expensive as compared to other providers.
HostGator, through its hosting services, provides its users with a free SSL certificate with unlimited support for domains and subdomains. Each hosting plan includes a free SSL certificate. Although you can pay additional fees for additional features of the certificate.
- The certificate is recognized by all the major browsers.
- It employs a 256-bit encryption level.
- Automatic and easy setup.
- HostGator provides 24/7 customer support along with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- The certificate covers both domains and subdomains.
- The free certificate doesn’t provide any warranty.
Pricing – The basic hosting plan costs $2.75/month.
SiteGround allows its hosting users to issue as many free SSL certificates from the cPanel portal provided to them.
- It employs AI software to deal with more than 5 million brute-force attacks every day.
- Ultra-fast network and endorsement from WordPress.
- It uses firewalls to stop third-party software vulnerabilities.
- Friendly and efficient round-the-clock help center to solve all your problems.
- Easy integration of SSL certificates through Let’s Encrypt.
- There are a lot of prerequisites to follow before installing the SSL certificate.
Pricing – The starter web hosting pack costs $6.99/month.
DreamHost, being one of the best web hosting providers on the market, offers a free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate to all its users along with all their plans.
- The certificate helps in fixing any insecure resource or link on your site.
- It facilitates automatic renewals.
- It doesn’t require any validation email.
- It provides excellent 24/7 customer support.
- It employs all the modern security techniques at absolutely no cost.
- The free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate doesn’t display a certificate seal of trust. You have to upgrade to Sectigo ($15/years) for that.
Pricing – The web hosting plans start at $2.59/month.
WP Engine not only allows you to add Free SSL Certificate Let’s Encrypt but also allows you to add RapidSSL Wildcard Certificates or any third party SSL Certificate.
- The web host service provider automatically renews the free SSL certificate.
- Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate expires after 90 days.
- It employs a 256-bit encryption level for safe transactions.
- It provides 24/7 friendly customer support.
- You can add both www and non-www versions of the domains.
- The installation process takes more time than other SSL certificate providers.
Pricing – The startup pack applicable to personal sites or blogs costs $30/month.
A completely trusted, free 90-day SSL certificate that operates on the same level as the company’s paying alternatives deserves to be at the top of our list.
- A completely free certificate with no hidden charges.
- It facilitates fast validation and 128/256 bit encryption.
- The free certificate is limited to one issue per domain.
- It provides the technology of the next generation SSL certificate i.e 2048-bit.
- The registration process is simple and results in the immediate security of the website and visitors.
- It supports only one domain per free SSL certificate and you need to pay additional charges for multiple domains.
Cloudflare is one of the most popular free SSL certificate providers and is also known for free CDN. The certificate tends to work for both desktop browsers and mobile browsers.
- The free certificate that is available for lifetime protects your site from web threats.
- It doesn’t require you to stay up to date with the latest SSL vulnerabilities.
- The certificate enables HTTPS/2, which offers two times faster speeds.
- Easy SSL configuration by clicking a button will save you from the manual configuration.
- Premium plans are not costly compared to other providers.
- The free SSL certificate plan is only available for personal websites and blogs.
To improve customers’ trust in their digital certificate products, SSL has launched a 90-day free trial period for SSL certificates.
- It offers 99% browser compatibility with unlimited server licenses.
- The encryption technology guarantees dependable security.
- The certificate is issued within a few minutes.
- It facilitates 24/7 customer support through chat, email, and phone.
- It enables a 30-days money0back guarantee with no questions asked.
- It provides the trial period for only one domain.
Compatible with all major browsers, InstantSSL is very similar when it comes to delivering services like the providers mentioned above. It also provides for a trial period of 90 days.
- It requires domain validation before the issuance of a certificate.
- It provides a fully secure website through 256-bit encryption.
- It offers the same experience of the 2048-bit root as the paid certificate does.
- The certificate is issued within minutes.
- It is fully functional for one domain.
- It doesn’t provide any technical support or warranty with the free trial period.
Having issued more than 1 million SSL certificates, WoSign provides a free SSL certificate that is valid for a lifetime. The deal is valid for only one domain as you have to pay additional fees for multiple domains.
- A fully functional certificate that doesn’t require any coding.
- It uses 256-bit encryption to secure online transactions.
- It is compatible with 99% of the web browsers.
- The cost of adding an additional domain is only $1.99 / year.
- The easy installation process does not require any prior knowledge.
- The free certificate lacks warranty and technical support.
Acmetek provides a completely working, free SSL certificate for a 30-day trial period. The certificate provides an opportunity for users to learn about the certificate implementation process before they actually purchase one.
- There is no need for paperwork for a free SSL certificate.
- The certificate is delivered through email and is applicable for 99% of the browsers.
- It facilitates 256-bit encryption for secure transactions.
- Acmetek offers discounted rates for use of their paid certificates for up to 2 years.
- It supports both www and non-www domains along with the technical support.
- The trial period is available for a shorter period of time as compared to other SSL providers.
Web Hosts that offer free SSL certificates in their plans:
In the previous section we covered the best free SSL certificate providers, it is time to look at web hosts that offer free SSL certificates as a part of their hosting plans.
Although these providers fulfill the requirement of a lower level of encryption, they still lack the responsibility to secure very sensitive pieces of information in their free plans.
You might need to upgrade to premium SSL certificates for advanced features. But for a start, you can choose any free SSL provider that works for you and make your website secure.