The Genesis Framework is probably the most popular WordPress theme framework currently in the market.
In fact, it is one of the most used frameworks for WordPress and has a huge user base. Starting from basic hobby bloggers to full-fledged corporate websites, the framework is powerful and versatile enough to cater to all demographics.
Now to take advantage of the Genesis Framework for your WordPress website, you will have to use a child theme.
The Genesis Framework itself is like a parent WordPress theme and it is recommended that you use a Genesis child theme for customization and to utilize all its functionalities.
We will not go into too much technicality as to why you should use a Genesis child theme and leave that for another day. For the purpose of this read, we will simply be looking at some free to use Genesis child themes which you can consider for your projects.
Do note that to experience the full flavor of the Genesis framework you will have to use one of the premium child themes.
However, if you don’t wish to invest money just yet and want a little taste of what is in store then going with the free versions is also justified.
So, without further ado, let’s get started:
Best Free Genesis Child Themes
01. One Pager
Starting off our list we have the One Pager child theme for Genesis. It has been designed by one of the veteran Genesis developers – Sridhar Katakam. From the name, you might have guessed that the theme boasts a one-page layout.
Feature-wise, you will get access to a lot of functionalities, despite being a free theme. You will get options for parallax animation, dedicated welcome, contact and about widgets, and so on.
Here is a comprehensive look at all the features the theme has to offer.
- Single page them. But includes the option to have more than one page.
- Widgets for Welcome, About, and Contact Sections.
- Fixed Background image with Parallax Effect for each section.
- Built-in scroll animations.
- Images displayed in an attractive Lightbox.
If you are looking for an eCommerce Genesis child theme, then you might want to look at AyoShop. The theme is also WooCommerce ready, and packs in a lot of functionalities to help you run your online shop.
There is hardly any better free alternative to AyoShop. The theme carries over almost all the key features of the Genesis Framework, bundled inside a clean and modern layout.
Here is a more detailed overview of all the features that you will get with the theme.
- Super easy to use.
- WooCommerce ready.
- Responsive layout.
- A bunch of customization options, unlimited color schemes, and WP Customize ready.
Now, if you are looking for a Genesis child theme aimed at professional use, then Equilibre is worth consideration. It has been created with businesses and freelancers and packs a professional looking design layout.
It is also super easy to set up and is beginner friendly. This makes the theme one of the ideal picks if you don’t wish to tweak too much around with your theme, and simply want something to get your business online.
Now coming to the feature side of things.
- 4 different page layout to accommodate for different types of businesses.
- Customizable background image.
- A lot of customization options available via the theme options menu.
- Support for custom menus.
- Responsive design.
The Breakpoint Genesis child theme boasts a simple and clean design for all those who are a fan of the minimalist design style. It is an excellent option for creating your personal blogging website. It is SEO ready to help you get more traffic.
Also, careful consideration has been given to the design, which increases the readability of all your content.
And now for an in-depth look at all the functionalities, the theme has to offer.
- Sharp and Bold typography.
- Many layouts and page setups for added customizability.
- Multi-page layout and easily navigable.
If you are planning to start blogging on more feminine subjects and women related topics, then you might like the design style offered by Fresh – Genesis child theme.
You will get a clean magazine style design dipped in different shades of pink to offer a gorgeous and elegant design.
Another key aspect of the theme would be its two-column layout which alternates between post featured image and the post title itself.
- Blog for feminine topics.
- Two-column layout.
- Multipage design.
- Social media integration.
- Integrated Contact form in the footer section.
Up next, we have Fremedy – a Genesis child theme which packs in all the core features of the framework so that you can get a feel of what the platform has to offer.
The theme is not specifically targeted at a particular demographic. It boasts all the basic features to build a functionating website.
Here is a look at all the options you will get with the theme.
- A lot of options and multiple theme styles, all available from the backend.
- Slider support with a lot of customization options.
- A dedicated portfolio area to boast all your creations.
- Landing page templates.
- Custom Shortcodes.
Journal is yet another minimal Genesis Child Theme for WordPress. It is designed with content driven sites in mind and boasts a clean design layout for maximum readability.
It will perfect for that personal blog you had in mind. The theme design focuses on maximum the white spaces so that readers won’t get distracted from the main attraction – the content!
And now coming to all the features offered by Journal.
- Lightweight design that reflects with high loading speed.
- The homepage offers a dedicated area for “Author bio.”
- Sidebars accessible by clicking on the menu button.
- Responsive design with a mobile-first approach.
Portlight Genesis theme is targeted at people looking for a website that dons a more vintage look. But despite the old school appearance, you can rest assured as all the features and functionalities available with the theme are up to date.
It has been created with HTML5 and CSS3 and coded with the best SEO practices. The homepage template is responsive and mobile-friendly.
The theme also packs in a lot of features, especially considering that it is available for free. Here is a quick look at what you get with Portlight:
- An abundance of widgets with a dedicated after post widget area.
- Custom background and logo for customization and branding.
- Footer widgets.
- Portfolio item template.
- Threaded comment support.
09. Twenty Seven Pro
Despite the “Pro” in its name, Twenty Seven Pro is a free Genesis child theme which you can use on your WordPress website.
The theme has been designed to cater to lifestyle blogging and similar niches. Design wise, it packs in a minimal layout with plenty of whitespaces. It looks absolutely stunning, and it should since it has been designed by Brian Gardner – the founder of the Genesis Framework.
Now let’s take a look at the features you get with the theme.
- Three site layout options.
- Sticky Message header widget area.
- Option to add widget before header and footer.
- Plenty of color customization options.
- Upload a custom logo for branding.
If you really like the layout and aesthetics of a Tumblr blog, then you can create something similar with the Tote Genesis child theme.
It is super simple to set up and install, and within minutes your site will look like a Tumblr blog. The design also utilizes plenty of white spaces to help make it more content focused. Your readers will really enjoy the distraction-free reading experience on your website.
Other features offered by the theme are as follows.
- Infinite Scrolling.
- Dedicated landing page template.
- Custom Shortcode support.
- Multiple theme styles available through the backend options.
These were our picks for the best free Genesis child themes for your WordPress website. We hope you found the read to be helpful, and if you did, don’t forget to share it with your friends.
Also, if you have happened to already use one of the themes we have mentioned on this list, then do write about your experience using the theme in the comments section.
All of us, including the readers, will love to hear about your personal experience and insight.